Learn Japanese at the Montreal Japanese Language Center!
The Montreal Japanese Language Center (MJLC) offers the following classes to adult learners (16 yrs and older).
• MJLC Level 1 – Marugoto Starter Japanese (please see below for details)
• MJLC Level 2 – Marugoto Elementary 1 Japanese (please see below for details)
• MJLC Level 3 – Marugoto Elementary 2 Japanese (please see below for details)
All classes are taught Saturday mornings (10am-12pm) at College Jean-de-Brebeuf (metro Côte-des-neiges) from September to June.
Registration opens on December, 4: CLICK HERE
Until Dec 3, registration is open to current students only. Please enter the access code to continue.
*Please note that a placement test is required prior to registration for new incoming students interested in MJLC level 2 and 3.
You can access the placement test through our registration platform.
For any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
About our approach…
Our classes focus on functional and conversational Japanese, where the goal is to help you communicate in every-day situations such as asking for directions, talking about your work and hobbies, and ordering a meal. Through the innovative Marugoto program, students are active learners through situational activities that support listening comprehension, effective conversation skills, grammar, and learning about Japanese culture. Learn more about the Marugoto series here.
In all our classes we aim to provide an immersive experience where the teacher speaks mostly in Japanese. Our teachers support all learners in their understanding of the material and encourage students to express themselves in Japanese. But in order to explain certain Japanese concepts, teachers will provide clarifications or answer students’ questions in English or French.
Studying Japanese at the MJLC also means having access to various cultural events organized by the Center. Adult learners can enjoy undokai (sports day), setsubun (beginning of spring), kodomonohi (children’s day), and other activities with the wider Japanese community in Montreal!
Our class schedule…
The MJLC Japanese classes follow a year-long curriculum (three semesters) starting in September and ending in June.
- Registration for the first semester (Fall 2023) will open on August 1, 2023. *Open to new incoming students
- Registration for the second semester (Winter, 2024) will open on December 4, 2023. *Open to new incoming students.
- Registration for the third semester (Spring, 2024) will open on March 1, 2024. *Only available for students already registered in Fall and/or Winter semester.
More about our curriculum…
MJLC Level 1 (Marugoto Starter A1)
MJLC Level 2 (Marugoto Elementary 1)*
MJLC Level 3 (Maruguto Elementary 2)*
Every year, teachers select curriculum from the Marugoto series that reflect the needs and interests of the students. As such, the content covered is subject to vary slightly on an annual basis.